Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Testimony Time =)


How I love my natural hair. It wasn't always like this though. I was raised in a house where "creamy crack" ruled and nappiness drooled. My hair was so thick that my mom felt like she couldn't manage it and at the age of 8, I got my first relaxer and for the next 16 years, I was getting relaxed on the regular. I was always told that I had a nice texture of hair but what does that really mean? Because to me I wanted straight hair and I wasn't going to let nobody talk me out of it. Then I decided to watch Youtube one day and saw all this women on hair journeys and it inspired me to try the natural thing but was shut down instantly from my family. Chile, my mama went IN. So in all these years Im doing more damage to my hair then helping it. I dyed, fried, used prostyle brown gel, put relaxers on my ends, never deep conditioned or did a protein treatment, leave micros in for long periods of time and using heat everyday and not washing my hair for weeks on end and my dumb ass wondering why the HELL my hair is not growing past my damn NECK.  In 2010 I had lost my mother to Heart Disease and I stopped doing a lot of things, relaxing my hair was one of those things. A year later I was still wearing weaves and Sew Ins until one of my great friends, Jamie (hey girl!!!) introduced me to hairlista and healthy hair journeys. She is relaxed but she taught me about co washing and moisturizing and sealing and I was HOOKED. That very next day I hopped up on hairlista got my info and went straight to the beauty supply and RACKS ON RACKS ON RACKS lol. I had already started to transition so after a year and a half of transitioning and 8 months into my natural hair journey, I chopped all my relaxed ends off!!!!! I felt like a weight was lifted off me. I can honestly say that I am so deeply IN LOVE with my hair now more than EVER. For once since I was 9 years old my hair is past NL (neck length) It's much thicker, I love my coils and curls, how big it get when I blow it out, How soft it is when I touch it. I cant keep my hands out of it. My family is supporting me and  even if they didn't, I probably wouldn't of gave a damn anyway lol but I am saying this to say that at the en of the day YOU have to do what makes YOU happy. My mom always told me that in life, no matter what you do or say, people are going to talk about you, whether it's good or bad, so why are ppl so worried about being talked about? People can call me nappy, brillo pad, a bitch, a nigga all day, it's not going to make me second guess who I am and the woman that I am. I am a wife, a mother, a daughter, a sister and an aunt and guess what my hair doesn't defy me and yours should not either but you can call me Natural Diva all day =)

4 comments:

  1. Love your story! :)
    Very inspirational

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much =) I appreciate you taking time to read my story

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story! I think this journey is as much mental as it is physically watching our hair develop and grow. Sorry about you losing your mom. Much love on your hair journey.

    ReplyDelete

Followers